Friday, September 19, 2014

Dorin Negrau S/S 2015 Brings Unique, Gothic, Flair to Lincoln Center



My 10-year high school reunion is next Friday. Why am I telling you this? Well I've been more than a bit nostalgic lately about my high school years and even more so after the Dorin Negrau show at Lincoln Center. To be honest, I've been mulling over the show since I saw it. 


When I was in high school, I didn't exactly fit in. I was one of the more "goth" kids. Now, I'm not talking about the lite goth culture we have now. I'm talking about the dark, shredded, spiked, leather, eccentric, goth culture that owned my later teen years. Attending underground shows in the Brooklyn rock scene.  Loud, pounding, powerful, music and dramatic fashion. The Dorin Negrau show gave me a front row seat (literally) to my youth with loud Romanian rock music and eccentric designs. 

I loved the peekaboo lace from the first look. 

We've seen a wonderful resurgence of 80's and 90's fashion done, quite a bit, more tastefully than the original decades. It really doesn't  surprise me that Dorin Negrau's gothic, Romanian styles reminded me of the late 90's, early 2000's goth culture. If all fashion is cyclical, it's about time that the goths had their moment again. 


The Dorin Negrau show didn't just feature darker looks, flowing gowns were mixed in with highly sexualized garter belts and bare breasts. Electrical tape hair accessories were placed in contrast to Romanian inspired belts and  accessories. Sequins, leather crosses on sheer tops, velvet, even lace were featured in the designs. Long, sheer maxi skirts flowed down the runaway in white, pink, and black. 

The mixture of lingerie under sheer maxi skirts paired with velvet, lace, or sequin top can be sexy and classy. 

While the show started a bit odd, a woman dancing a spiderweb type of cloth off of herself, it was anything but boring. Dorin Negrau's first show at Lincoln Center was a success and I was left wondering what was next with every garment. This type of fashion certainly isn't for everyone but if we can take away anything from this show, we should take away that pushing boundaries, combining different accessories, and channeling our inner goth might just be fun for spring 2015. 

 Adding a little goth flair with red sequin bandeau top under this flowing and elegant black dress. 

Plunging backs with Romanian accessories. 

Layers. Layers. Layers. 

Gothic style can be elegant and Dorin Negrau shows us how!

A lighter side. Boxy cuts and interesting necklines in lighter shades. 

No comments:

Post a Comment